Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fun weekend, horrible workout.

I am so sucking right now. I am hoping I'll feel better on Monday afternoon when I get my next medication dose. It is suppose to be every eight weeks; however, I was due for that two weeks ago, but had to postpone it due to a vaccine I had to get. Every work out seems to be a struggle for me to have the energy. This usually starts to happen two weeks before I'm do for the RX, so now I'm four weeks or more into feeling sluggish all the time. Ugh.  

Saturday: hot with a forecast of hotter. (see this Unsimple Living blog post to see how hot I think the day was) Up at 5:30am for Mike's event, to the small downtown area for his race meeting, and freebies (a packet of coffee beans and a gift card to the restaurant) and they were off at 7am, back to hotel, changed, spent an extra 20 minutes trying to figure out where the parking lot for the trail was. Asked at a gas station, the attendant and person pumping had no idea and were kind  of scary people. Plus, this part of the trail was right next to the paved highway road and it wove in and out of trees and overgrown shrubs. I wasn't sure how safe it was going to be. [I was envisioning lots of creepy weirdos hanging out in the woods].  I finally asked two fifty-something women walking on the path where the parking lot was (another mile down the road!). Thus when I finally found the parking lot, I ran in the other direction. . .which happened to be IN the sun the whole time. I did run with my flashlight/whistle that my mom got for me. It's thick plastic and angled, so I figure I would be able to hurt someone if they tried to hurt me ;-) 

Running at 8am was not smart this day!  I had my waist camelbak of water and about 20oz of cytomax. I was out of cytomax and had already had a GU by the time I entered the city I won't name, on the trail system. I started out running and then went to run/walk. I was ticked off in the city I won't name.  I was tired, cranky, getting dehydrated, and looking for H2O. There was NO place to get water--no gas station or convenient store or CVS or Walgreens or anything that I could see.There are NO gas stations near the bridge, even though there are plenty of hotels there. UGH. I actually contemplated walking into the hotel for the ice machine, but didn't know if I'd get a second look or not.  There I was: walking, walking, walking trying to find something. Finally, I found a gas station that was just reopening and was able to get some cold water and filled up the pack, then started to make the trek back to the car. I was hoping to get 10 miles one way and 10 the other, but by this time my body was not happy and I was trying to get rehydrated, thinking that was why I was cranky. I was only seven miles in by the time I found the oasis with good ol' H2O. 

I got started north, then stopped just about a mile into my return on the trail, with the need to call the animal shelter/humane society, neither were open, so I finally called police about an injured goose in the middle of the bike trail. I couldn't just leave without doing anything. They mate for life and its mate was trying to get it to move. The thing was right in the middle of the trail system. I'm surprised there hadn't been a people accident in this area with the goose  in the path, then I wondered if a recreational cyclist might have done this, on accident of course.  

This photo is after it had managed to move approximately two feet. It was like a seal on land, trying to move, floundering on its belly, trying to paddle it's feet and getting no purchase on anything with them.  There was blood under its right wing and it was such a sad sight to see. I was trying to stay far enough back so as to not stress it out. As its mate never charged at me, I can only assume I was far enough away.  The rest of the flock moved on after a few minutes though; they were not going to wait for the downed goose. I guess they have a code like pirates (a la the Pirates of the Caribbean.). 
As a farm girl I was torn. One one hand, the goose didn't need to be suffering and I wanted the humane society/police to do something for it and its mate. On the other hand, it's food at the basic level, though I have never knowingly ate a goose. 

Got that done, then started slowly running again. My motoactv says my run times were about about a minute to two minutes slower per mile than I wanted to be running, and then my walking times were obviously slower than that. I was thinking that if I got done with this run than I could go back to the hotel, clean up and do some running in the hotel swimming pool (in the cool water and the a/c of the hotel!). However, the weather started getting bad, just as another cycling wife said it might, so I drove to the second checkpoint of Mike's race in case he had to bail. Got to the small town just as the storm was rolling in. I missed him by six miles or so, but with texting found he was safe on a farmer's porch with a yellow lab for company. I was in town in case the storm didn't let up and he needed to bail on the ride/race. As I was in the gas station finding out if the cyclists had even been there yet, the car almost got hit by falling awning sign of the gas station. 
The missing red/white piece was in two sections, each about five feet by two feet. 

The car seriously was missed by about three inches and probably only saved due to the fact the strong wind gusts were from west to east and the car was on the west side of the awning, so it blew down and then slightly to the east.

Sometimes there's a lot of crazy and funny stuff that happens and other times it's like, 'why aren't I running more!". ugh. I am SO disappointed in myself for this run

Mike finished about half hour before he thought he would, even with waiting an hour on farmer guy's porch waiting out the rain and lightning (yes, the lightning is what made my hubby get off his bike). He got another gift card for finishing the race and we had a lovely dinner for half the out-of-pocket price!  

Sunday we went for a lovely stroll along the river. A gorgeous day in temperature and perfect  amount of fluffy cotton ball clouds in the atmosphere. We marveled at the different types of lilies. . . neither of us had any idea there were different varieties of these lovely flowers.  Most of these were the kind with eighteen inch diameter pads and flower stalks that were about two feet out of water. The ones we have near us are much smaller pads and the flowers sit right on the water with very long and slender flower petals.

I'm trying to be better about my food I'm ingesting and if I feel like I might put it on my blog then maybe I'll be a little more careful about what I eat? The Mike took me to The Machine Shed on Sunday for breakfast. I've never been to one of these places, though there are several in the Midwest. I wasn't going to put this picture in the blog, but love how Mike really could not resist the bacon candy on his plate while I was capturing the food. I was disappointed that a place that prides itself of having farm style foods has no way of communicating that the food is 'fried'  in vegetable oil.  It took several attempts for me to discover what they meant by 'fried' and I requested real butter for my food, as the soy oils don't agree with this body. I really wish the dairy board would come back with a REAL SEAL campaign. It is sadly amazing how many people think that 'butter' is a generic term.  'whipped margarine' is not equal in any way to real butter.  

Later we toured a farm implement area and then dined at a nice steakhouse.  I ordered the smaller sirloin and potato, then a side of veggies to be a little more healthy.  We actually didn't eat, and didn't box up, the veggies as they were swimming in whatever type of oil they used (probably olive) 

The last part of our day, before heading home, was spent at the dam site.  It was fun to watch the rail bridge swing open and then close when needed. Just as we were getting ready to leave, a barge was coming into the area, so we did stay to watch it get loaded in the lock.

Since I had no problem eating all my steak on Sunday (such a non-shocker!),  this was my lunch on Monday.  Ham, tomato, spinach, guacamole on toast, and two pieces of cheese.   

No comments:

Post a Comment