Sunday, October 23, 2022

soup is on!

In thr wonderful news, i did yoga today for first time in months! . Hand/wrist surgery where i had a benign tumor removed in August.  Had that for about 18 months. Doc thought it was ganglion cyst and to just "deal with it". Decided I was done doing that in April. Had MRI in July which was read as a giant cell tunor (not good). Local doc said he wasn't touching it and sent me to ortho hand surgeon.  Ended up being a faster and better surgery with a diagnosis of (benign) fibroma of tendon sheath. Yay. Followed with 6 weeks of physical therapy after sutures were removed (sutures due to adhesive / steristrip allergy)

Food:
I had some frozen broccoli on hand and decided it would be good for cheesy broccoli soup! 

Remembered an episode of America's Test Kitchen for  broccoli cheese soup, dound the recipe in their amazing (heavy) cookbook. 

It is....not like the cheesy version one buys at a restaurant.  

I used a bit more broccoli because I had a frozen bag (20 oz instead of 16oz). It was either that or use 10oz instead of 16. 

I used 5 oz of frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed to drain) instead of 2 cups fresh. 
1 small onion, 2tsp garlic, mustard powder, cayenne and #kerrygold #cheddarcheese which I had grated/ shredded (called for 3oz, I used 7oz) (salt, pepper and maybe something else I'm forgetting at the moment--buy thwir cookbook and you can have the recipe too😉)

TheMike wasn't a fan. I think it could have been creamier/cheesier. Perhaps if I used (ahem) Velveeta or American cheese (I buy whiteAmericancheese at the deli) but had neither on hand. 

He thought it could have used more flavor.  
I thought it was really good. Definitely different in that I could taste the veggies instead of having a layer of fat on the tongue. 

I think next time I'd use less water, not drain the spinach or use fresh, and puree before adding the chicken broth so it's thicker in the food processor. 

#soup #windyday #food #glutenfree #glutenfreetastesgreat #celiac #coeliac #soyfree #soyoilfree #foodallergies #foodintolerances #getinmybelly 

No comments:

Post a Comment