Thursday, March 21, 2019

Have feet will travel, broken wing

Training was not good this winter. January I had an awful cold and on day four I went to the doctor. She pretty much rolled her eyes at me, but ordered some tests that I had to go to another facility to have done. I went there, they didn't do them. I had to go to the ER to have them done.  I went home to rest and feel like I was dying.  Fever, wicked chest issue. Had to sleep sitting up in the chair because my throat would get irritated. I could only take shallow breaths. Friday afternoon I listened to my voice mail . I didn't even recall my phone ringing. Who was it? That would be my doctor calling Wednesday evening with an apologetic sound in her voice. I had RSV and she said I 'might' need to go to the hospital if I got worse. Gee, thanks lady.  This is a wicked respiratory virus that babies and elderly folks get. I have no idea how I got exposed. I guess that bottle of Purell in the car for use after shopping just didn't cut it! 

I canceled a week of physical therapy for my plantar fasciitis because of the illness.

February had to be better, right? As it happens, it takes several weeks for your body to feel normal after RSV. Then The Mike got ill. Then I got a cold.  I also 'graduated' from physical therapy and was told to continue with stretches at home.  I bought a square foam cushion like we used in PT and also a round disc that we used. When I walk in/out of one of the rooms in the house I have to use these  for an obstacle course.  I use them regularly as well, but it's added bonus for going in/out of that room.

Before I knew it, March was here!  HOW did that happen?  I had a half! I didn't buy race insurance because I had to be in DC anyway and I had trip insurance if I was going to not make the trip.  Guess there is a reason why I hovered over the race insurance button last fall!  
Cool tank tops with racer names.
 I love this idea but I wish my name was on a purple or pink shirt instead of the grey :-)

How excited can a walker be? 
 WOO HOO!  This was going to be an attempt at running some, and walking most, and I knew that. I knew my time wouldn't be great, but that I was getting it done.  I have gained about ten pounds since last spring when my plantar fasciitis took hold. This was essentially a redemption for me, since November's Tulsa run also was still on bad PF foot.
The Route

The snow
Friday's weather was awful and I was so thankful that was Friday and not Saturday!  Rain, sleet, snow--and sooo cooooold.
It brought a smile to my face to walk out of the expo and see people twirling in the light frozen precipitation--it wasn't heavy enough to show up in photos of it falling. On the metro from the airport, there was a couple from Florida heading straight to the expo (I stopped at my hotel first). I am sure they might have been a couple twirling in the snow.  Unless we have to drive in it or shovel it, most enjoy the first flakes of snow.

The pre race dinner
Outback salmon is my go-to for prerace meals. Protein, some carbs, and not heavy in the digestive track for Saturday. Had an issue today for the first time ever!  My salmon wasn't done in the middle.  Sent it back and my meal was comped. Um, OKAY.

Flat Quirky 
The Quirky Gluten Free runner runs with cancer awareness these days. While my sister is a breast cancer survivor (pink) and I am a melanoma cancer survivor (black), I run for my mom and the other 45,000 people each year who will die from pancreatic cancer. 9% survival rate is not good enough. If you know someone who is diagnosed, or needs help, visit www.pancan.org/patientcentral for information on local to you doctors, treatments, so much more, and a listening ear.  If you know someone impacted by melanoma cancer, visit www.melanoma.org  for more information and assistance. There is so much information that needs to be shared--including visiting a dermatologist and oncologist who KNOW melanoma. 

The Blue Mile. 
The most solemn mile on the steepest/toughest and quietest part of the course. What we do does not compare. 
 The course  had some rough streets-one was a really rough street, overly filled mounds of asphalt right next to a nice hole--and beautiful scenery. It was not the same course I had run a few years ago and that was great. It made it new for me. 
Before the race I was feeling bad because I hadn't trained and I couldn't believe I was going to do a half marathon without training. Ten years ago I would have been laughing had you told me that!  Today I know that a half or full or ultra is about training, but also about preparation, mental attitude, perseverance and determination.  People who haven't done a race don't understand, but those who have know that perseverance and determination will get us all past that wall we inevitably encounter!


Just before the race I decided to post on my personal FB page that I was doing this race. I needed some positive vibes on a chilly morning (chilly, but not as cold as Friday was!). I walked over to the start too early, and so there was standing around in between tall buildings where the wind can seem colder.  I had a good first 5K to the race, running and walking, and enjoying the sites. The next part to the 10K was okay time (slowed slightly from the 5k) and I was still feeling good.  Mile 8 my Plantar Fasciitis poked its head out and said "watch it". I concentrated on walking with rolling my foot as I learned in physical therapy. I did that for a couple miles. My foot was feeling better. The tips I learned helped --though I'm wondering how I'll do a half and full back to back this summer! Then when I was just moving along and thinking of some things I hear my name!   I look around and see a friend who came out to see if she could spot me (and she had to walk her dog!).  That was such a pick me up!  The  next few miles to the finish were a run/walk/run/walk mix to carry me through. My time was slower than I was wanting, but it was a finish with no visit to the med tent! 

Thankfully these were moving stairs
After the race, I headed to Five Guys for lunch--and was told that I'd be the 'last bun' because their truck was late. I laughed and said I wasn't getting the bun and they could give it to someone else.  I was so thankful that the escalators at the metro stops were working! 

The City Tap House
The next night I met up with friend at The City Tap House. There are a couple locations within DC. Friend said the beer was good, the food was great, my burger and salad was great and what I needed after a light lunch of fish at the conference.  Conversation and catching up was wonderful.

My conference was fabulous and I learned a lot. Then it was time to head home. Heading west it was interesting to see how the landscape changed. I saw ice on Lake Michigan as my flight came in for arrival.

Connecting flight home was on time, and the clear fields outside of Chicago gave way to the snow covered fields of home. 


Well played Rock 'n' Roll series!  

Me heading to expo : you've done RNR before. You dont need to buy anything. 

Me at expo: OMG this shirt has runner names on it!  (silent shout) I found mine!   I *must* buy! 

Me in checkout line:  Hey, I have been looking for a large bottle opener for traveling,  to open Coca-Cola Mexican glass bottles. (real cane sugar formula)

Dang. Need to buy this new version of the glass too.

All bought... because of that tank!

Well played indeed. 


As I write this, I am mentally prepping for my surgery later today for carpal tunnel.  Apparently this is what is bothering my wrist since the car crash of Nov 2015.  I have a hard time understanding how carpal tunnel is responsible for so much, but this is what the docs tell me. I fear I'll get this part fixed and it'll still be something else. 

Last night I prepped food for a bit, froze some prep stuff as well as lasagna and chicken breasts. To improved health and one foot in front of the other.!  

No comments:

Post a Comment