Sunday, January 8, 2023

Meatballs

Meatballs of sorts. 

Using recipe I got from an Italian friend years ago. 

In place of the cornflakes, I save up the ends of my bread in freezer, then thaw, pulverize in food processor, and then lightly toast in nonstick skillet. 

As TheMike has been reacting to celery/parsley/cilantro/coriander, I left out the parsley and added in oregano, thyme, basil, and some fine shred carrots. (Hey, carrots are good in meatloaf, maybe they'll be fine in meatballs!)

The new jar of minced garlic didn't POP when I opened it, so I dug out the few small cloves I had on had, peeled and then pulsed/minced in food processor. 

Recipe:

2# ground meat 
2 cups bread crumbs
1 minced medium onion
3 eggs
1 1/3 c parmasean cheese (I did fresh grated from a small block)
1T oregano*
1T garlic powder
1T fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp kosher salt

*note 4T fresh chopped parsley would be traditional instead of oregano. 

Wash hands and forearms well.  Mix all together in large mixing bowl. 


Traditional is cooking in a skillet in some olive oil and finishing in the oven. 

I prefer to bake mine on rimmed pans. 350°F x 30 min for small, 50 min for large. 

I make large meatballs with a one cup scoop which are great for slicing into lasagna.  Then I make small meatballs . I have three scoops of 1T, 2T, 3T size. Today I made the rest as 1T meatballs which will be great for pasta or meatball sandwiches. 

#glutenfree #glutenfreetastesgreat #celiac #coeliac #soyfree #soyoilfree #foodallergies #foodintolerances 
#beelerspurepork ground pork, #HyVee #butcherblockblend ground beef

No comments:

Post a Comment