Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Chicken, avocado/corn salad


A few months ago I had come across a recipe for Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad via Pinterest.   It sounded like a great side dish for the winter (it was) and I hoped to recreate it come warmer weather (I did). The original recipe is in the link above. However, I never make things exactly the same, often because I am missing an ingredient!   
The finished dish with my recipe, below.

From Sunday's lunch of roasted chicken, which was also used for mediterranean pizza Sunday evening  (Chebe brand pizza crust mixed per the box instructions, then topped with pizza sauce, then artichoke hearts, mushrooms, kalamata olives, chicken and sun dried tomato pieces, as well as mozzarella cheese and baked on a pizza stone brought to oven temperature).  With those two meals, I still had chicken left over!  

Yesterday I found Paleo Cupboard on Pinterest (I feel I'm rarely on that board, but when I am, I find great stuff!). I had first found a recipe for some beef meals, and then saw a photo of a fabulous looking salad. Interestingly, the photo of the salad was for the recipe of the dressing! However, I was inspired for our evening meal.  A salad with mixed greens, chicken, hard boiled egg (whites, I dislike the yolks on salads), the above Corn/Avocado salad and then topped with just a smidge of cheddar cheese. 

For the Avocado/Corn salad, I used: 
1 can of corn, drained, with 1T of cumin and 1/2 T of chili powder, sauteed in a skillet with a teaspoon of olive oil til warmed through and the spices are aromatically filling the kitchen. 

Then in a bowl, I mixed a T of apple cider vinegar, 1 T of olive oil, a pinch of kosher salt and about 1tsp of black pepper and whisked that in one a mixing bowl, which I could use to add the other ingredients to as well---I'm all for less cleanup on a work night!

I sliced the cherry tomatoes I had on hand, diced up the greens of some scallions sitting in the refrigerator, and two avocados I had purchased at lunch, before I even knew what dinner would be. [I figured we'd need them for the left over carrot/sweet potato chili from last week. Now I have to go buy more avocados!] I also diced up a small red onion I had on hand.


I added all the ingredients (except for the corn, it needed to cool some) and folded them together, being sure to get the Olive oil/vinegar dressing on all of the ingredients. 
I managed to snag a photo before I completely mixed the corn into the dish!
I chopped the rest of the chicken and heated it in a skillet with a smidge of oil on the bottom. I didn't add any spices to this, but I suppose I could have added cumin and chili powder to it as well, maybe some garlic or onion powder too.  
Nothing fancy, just some basic chicken on a board cut randomly . . . no perfection required. 
Then I washed and diced up spinach, romaine and leafy green lettuces, put that in the base of the bowls. I added the corn to the salsa mixture and put some of it on next in the bowls, then placed some chicken in the bowl, as well as the hard boiled egg whites.   

Completed meal
I was thinking that one could add more dressing (lubricant) to the dish if desired.  I think, equal parts olive oil, cider vinegar with a teaspoon of cumin and half a teaspoon of chili powder and salt would be just the thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment