Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Pork Roast Becomes More: tacos, pizza, more

I love making this pork roast.  One, because it's sooo tasty, and two because it makes me smile when I think of the first time I made it and the geriatric feline in his last year perked right up after two hours of the pork roasting, his nostrils working when his appetite was poor.  (And yes, he got some from the very middle before I shredded it and completely mixed/shredded the meat). 


Pork Roast: 
Roasted Pork Butt / Pork Shoulder, the simply made roast keeps on giving in so many ways!  
In my oven, this cooks for 8 hours. In the electric roaster (large enough for those turkeys and such), this took about less time. Will lower the temp for next time, but it still turned out well.  

I used Michael Chiarello's Food Network recipe, with a few changes.  The first time I made it, I followed the recipe, but I've since adapted. it: 
6 to 8 pound pork shoulder/butt roast 
3T fresh garlic 
2T Kosher salt  2T ground Coriander 
2T mustard powder (I get mine from Penzy's spices) 
1 to 2 T ground chili powder, depending on my mood
1T dried thyme 
1T dried rosemary--mostly because I like a hint of it, but not a lot of it. Using dried, crush it or chop it. I generally use the mortar pestle for this. 
2tsp ground black pepper 
1/4 c brown sugar 


I open the package of the pork. I've only seen the large pieces in already wrapped packages at the store. Open it, drain it, and then dry the whole thing off. I put down paper towels in my large sheet pan, place pork on it, dry it with more paper towels. Dispose of paper towels. 

In my mortar pestle, I will add the rosemary first and mash it around to break up the pieces. Then I'll add the rest of the dry spices and grind them together, releasing the flavor.  In a bowl, add the brown sugar and fresh garlic, and then mix with the ground spices. 

Rub some on the side that will be bottom, flip it, and then add the rest and rub it into the meat, top, sides, and more to the bottom.  
If you have a roasting pan with a rack, place it on that. If not, placing it right into the pan is fine as well. I have also scrunched up aluminum foil to rest the roast on, for easier clean up. 

Roast for 6 to 8 hours at 275F

When done, let rest for ten to fifteen minutes, shred what you can by hand with forks, and have dinner.
Come back after dinner, shred the rest, and portion it for easy use later. I use quart freezer zip bags. Make sure to get some of the outer seasoned meat in with the rest.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pork tacos: 


Measure out the pork you will need for your tacos.  I dice up the meat a bit more than it was just shredded.
Prep and portion out your additions: 
queso cheese, guacamole or avocado, fresh cilantro, green onion, black olives, corn,, whatever you like. 


We use soft shell corn tortillas which I heat on the cast iron griddle we have. 

In a nonstick pan, heat up a half tablespoon of olive oil, and add in the pork. Cook for about five minutes or heated through. 
Cook up your tortillas. You can use a nonstick pan for this, or a griddle. I like to put a little butter on the iron first, then heat one side of the tortilla, after it bubbles a little, flip to the other side,  Since it's just the two of us, I set the warmed tortillas on a cooling rack, but placing them in a warm oven on a rack is a good way to keep them warm.  
The gluten free corn tortillas aren't very large, and we usually forget that when we fill them.  The simplest form would be meat, cheese, cilantro, maybe some lettuce. (like we've had at a great restaurant in McGregor, Iowa several years ago). 

Sometimes quick and simple becomes a little messy to eat. Have your fork handy!  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pork pizza: 

We pulled down a package of pork the other day and while initially I had tacos on my mind, we ended up making pizza.  

Chebe crust, we portioned it into two pizzas. The Mike made his thin and no crimped edge, mine was a little smaller/thicker and I crimped the edge--it's pie after all, right? 

The Mike went for BBQ Pork. We mixed up Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything cookbook" BBQ sauce and then The Mike mixed the sauce with the pork (which, this is how it was done at the pizza (ahem, house) place I worked at in college. In the past we've put BBQ sauce on the crust and then topped with pork. 

I used Classico Four Cheese white sauce and topped it with pork and onions, then added cheese.  While I am very picky on my BBQ sauce, and I did enjoy tasting this recipe's (I would consume it!), I wasn't feeling bbq pork that night.

Layered up the cheese, and baked at 450F on already heated pizza stones for 20minutes.  The Mike's took about 15 minutes, mine needed a little longer as it was thicker.  





We had fresh sliced apples with it. . .does that count as a complete meal?  

As my Italian friend said "that's not pizza". It's more like an open faced fabulously tasty sandwich!  


No comments:

Post a Comment