Saturday, May 9, 2020

Choc chip cookies and homophones

Last month businesses started releasing some recipes to the public since we weren't able to enjoy them in the establishments. I found the recipe for the Hilton DoubleTree Signature Cookie Recipe   and adapted it to be gluten free, then tweaked it again.
I dubbed this "The Cookie Challenge".  Can I make these cookies and have them measure up?  The Mike was asking for chocolate chip cookies just before I came across the recipe.   I made a batch in April, and a batch last night. The first batch I kept mostly to the recipe, but I did adapt the recipe using my 1:1 gluten free flour blend, and using the Bob's Red Mill Quick Cook Rolled Oats.   The first half of the mix baked did spread more than I expected; however, the second half baked didn't spread much. I presume that letting the mix set allowed the dough to set a bit.  

Yesterday's batch I modified a bit more. Namely, I used more flour, more vanilla and lemon, less sugar, adding baking powder (for lift), and using cook oats, not the quick oats, as well as omitting the walnuts. Did I then make a new recipe as it is changed, or is still a recipe from Hilton DoubleTree?
1 cup/ 2 sticks butter 
3/4 c granulated sugar 
3/4 packed brown sugar (in my container I put a bag of dark and light in at the same time, side by side, so I get a mix of the two when using it)
2 large eggs 
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
1/2 tsp lemon juice 
2 3/4 cup GF 1:1 flour blend 
1 1/2 tsp xanthum gum 
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill oats 
1 tsp baking soda 
1 tsp baking powder 
1 tsp salt 
1 package Artisan Kettle semi sweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup Guittard dark chocolate chips 
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Using my Kitchenaid mixer, I mixed the butter and sugars, then scraped down the sides and added the eggs, vanilla and lemon juice.  I scraped down the sides.  Then added half the flour/x.gum/oat/soda/powder/salt/cinnamon mix and mixed until well blended. Then I added the other half of the flour and slowly/gently mixed.  When combined, I tossed in the chocolate chips to quickly blend on high.  I wasn't sure it would incorporate well, but definitely the chips were mixed well through the dough.  

I baked my test cookie for 20 minutes @ 300F, but when I baked with two sheets in the oven, I bumped that up to 25 minutes.   I scraped and folded over/mixed  up the bit of flour on the bottom of the bowl that didn't get incorporated.  Using my 3T cookie scoop, I dished up 27 cookies with 6 cookies per parchment covered cookie sheet.

To reduce temptation, and create a surprise when I next clean out the freezer,  I froze over half the cookies and left out just a few.

With the weather turning cold, and a freeze expected, I cut the few tulips and some of the Hyacinths I had to bring in and enjoy a little longer.  Using the vintage Flour salesman sample jar with a flower always creates a smile.   I used a piece of white cardstock with holes punched in to create a surface to stabilize the other hyacinths for the vintage McCoy vase


We used old sheets to cover up the grave vines, some flowers and hostas. This morning the grape vines were exposed thanks to some stronger than expected breeze, and many of the leaf/grape clusters emerging look to have been damaged. The few areas that had larger leaves were damaged with the frost.  The hostas and flowers were fine, so I probably could have risked the tulips and hyacinths being outside.  Surprisingly, the decorative tall grass was heavily frost damaged.  Here's hoping the grape jelly & syrup supply won't be too impacted this fall! 

I forget how much movement is involved in yardwork. We trimmed the bridal wreath spirea today. Squat squat, bend, stand up, hold back the branches, cut cut cut, squat squat squat. :) 

Happy Mother's Day out there.   
Planning to visit the cemetery tomorrow, and do a drive by drop off at my MIL's.
Tonight saw a 6' apart line at the local flower shop that had tables and flowers set up outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment